Friday, September 26, 2008

~Barcelona~

Ok, I have A LOT of catching up to do (because I've basically been in a car the last 4 days) so I will do my best not to leave out important parts...
So Barcelona was AMAZING!! I spent 3 days here which is the longest amount of time I have been in any city in Spain and I'm glad I did. For those of you who love the city like I do, you would love Barcelona even more.
From Madrid we took the train to Barcelona where  we spent the rest of the day walking around and getting to know the city. That evening we walked to the main street "La Rambla" which the closest thing I can relate it to is like a much smaller version of Saturday Market down just one long street. Very good place to people watch! Also, all along the street there are people who dress up as VERY random characters and do different things for money. This was one guy we saw.
At the end of "La Rambla" you reach the port where we walked along the water and ate dinner at nearby restaurant. 
The next day we toured "La Sagrada Familia." This monument and the story behind it is by far spectacular! "La Sagrada Familia" is a massive Roman Catholic cathedral under construction that began in 1882 and is estimated to be completed in 2026! The original design was by a man names Antoni Gaudi (who, if you ask Rick & I, did a little too much crack in his day). But the detail and beauty of this cathedral leaves one speechless because there is SO much to look at and depict. Seriously Google this one! My dad and I actually waited in a line for an hour and a half to go to the top of a tower and see the city sky line. It was worth the entire 2 minutes we were up there and the 15 minute walk down the continuous spiral stair case...
After the cathedral we visited Park Guell where Gaudi's estate is located. Here there are acres and acres of all these creative ideas Gaudi had with tile and rocks and plants. It was here that I realized this man was on a whole 'nother level than the rest of us.
Our last night there we went to "Barceloneta" (just a location in Barcelona near the port) and had a seafood dinner with plenty of Sangria!
Our third day was cut short seeing as we hadn't bought tickets for the train in advance to Valencia. So we headed to the station around 10:30am hoping to catch the 12:30pm train but it was sold out...we were then forced to sit in the station for 4 hours waiting for the 2:30pm train :0(


No comments: