Saturday, September 20, 2008

MaDRid!

Can I first just say how much I LOVE it here! So all of you who said I may not come back...

I only got to spend one day in Madrid due to some horrible planning (not on my part) but I did get to see a lot and I will most likely go back for a weekend once school starts.
The hotels are rather interesting. First, the elevators are tiny! They can barely fit 5 people in them. All of the beds are very hard and if you do not request "matrimonio" the beds are set in 2's like the picture shown.  They are very energy efficient though because in order for the power in the room to work the room key has to be placed in a socket. Pretty clever! 
Our hotel was located right in the center of the Puerta del Sol where there were tons of shops and cafes. It was a perfect location. We also visited La Plaza Mayor which is the central plaza of the city. The plaza has been the scene of many events including markets, bullfighting, soccer games, even public executions during the Spanish Inquistion. (who knew this was going to be a history lesson right...)
We also visited Palacio Real "The Royal Palace" of the King of Spain. Juan Carlos and the royal family do not actually reside in this palace but it is still used for state occasions.
Lastly, we visited the Jardines del Buen Retiro. This place was HUGE (350 acres to be exact) and is the main park in Madrid!! Located here is a Crystal Palace that is beautiful. 
Other than that, we just walked A LOT and enjoyed several glasses of sangria while resting at the nearest cafe. 

Barcelona is next....

P.S. Mom and Rick, we should really look into investing in an european toilet/sink. I know that's not correct but I having a brain fart thinking of the name...help a girl out here!

4 comments:

Paige Alanna said...

Yes, I agree Mom and Rick look into that cause when I move in, I will be interested in this "experience". Whit, did I mention I miss you? I am glad you are having a good time. The pictures are great! Make sure you keep it up. I emailed Momma Lee, Loney and Sara Pete the email you sent me with the blog info...
Love you

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!sounds like fun. Good update. I have been to those places! My only wish is that we could have been there together :( Sangria and some tapas perhaps?

Whit...it's called a bidet. It's used by 'dirty gurlz'....:) Can't wait to talk to you. Can you download msn messenger?

We miss you tons.

Brett and April said...

How fun!! I want to go to madrid!! Hope you are doing well!

Hayley said...

Yes! I'm so glad that you found me. I am SO jealous that you are there. How fun!!! It's looks amazing. Have you started school yet? What's the campus like there? What school are you attending there. Where do you live??